Spartanburg Regional Pharmacy Residency (PGY1)
The Department of Pharmacy at Spartanburg Regional has a rich history of post-graduate training dating back to 1978. The program spanned eight years and graduated 15 residents. Three past residents are still employed with the department today.
The re-emergence of a postgraduate year one ( PGY1) residency in 2012 represented a new era of pharmacy practice at Spartanburg Regional. Utilizing the program’s historical roots as a foundation, the new program will focus on providing a learning experience conducive to the enhancement of a pharmacist’s ability to excel in a health-system setting. Spartanburg Regional is dedicated to preparing its pharmacy residents to assume positions as well-rounded hospital pharmacists or pursue second year postgraduate training in a specialty field. The twelve month postgraduate curriculum will provide exposure and practical experience in decentralized clinical services, pharmacokinetics, clinical pharmacy specialty services, departmental and organizational administration, clinical research, and pharmacy staffing.
In addition to ASHP residency requirements, Spartanburg Regional residents will be expected to:
- Manage and improve the medication use system.
- Provide evidence based, patient-centered medication therapy management with interdisciplinary teams.
- Exercise leadership and practice management skills.
- Demonstrate project management skills.
- Provide medication and practice related education and training.
- Utilize medical informatics.
- Teaching Certificate affiliated with the South Carolina College of Pharmacy (SCCP)
- Potential elective student preceptor month(s)
- Exposure to medical academic training in a community based hospital setting
- 7 required core rotations, 1 project rotation, 3 elective rotations, 1 pharmacy introduction/orientation rotation
- Flexible resident specific scheduling
- Every fourth weekend and one week night per week clinical staffing requirement
- Travel to and presentation at Southeastern Residency Conference (SERC)
- Travel to ASHP Midyear
- $42,000/year stipend
- 25 days Paid Time Off (including 5 holidays, 5 sick days, 5 professional days, and 10 vacation days)